Blogarchief

dinsdag 27 juni 2017

Goals...

Some things in life don't work out the way you want it to. Like my move to Zanzibar..conclusion: I'm moving back to Holland. I had a great time here and I learned a lot about the life in Zanzibar and it is not what I am looking for. I moved to Africa because I really thought I could have a meaningful life and do something for the people here, visit Mombasa often and maybe set something up here. The reality is different...no time or money to do anything for anyone! And on the island there are not a lot of possibilities for volunteer work. In the months I was here I enjoyed life and worked very hard, it's been fun, hectic, amazing, hard work and sometimes relaxing. In these months I was so busy getting to know the island and trying to make it work for myself that I never had a chance to really sit and think about the future. My visit to Holland gave me a chance to breathe and think...and I realized that my goals were further from me than ever before. Working in a hotel, catering to people that are enjoying their holiday is great, but these aren't the ones I really care about. I care about the local people and their lives, but with the hectic working hours and just enough finances to take care of myself I am not able to do what I came for. I love Africa and my heart will always be here, but Zanzibar and the lifestyle here are never going to bring me closer to my goals in life.
I came to the conclusion that in Holland there is much more to do for me as in volunteer work and I'll be able to find a good job which gives me the opportunity to travel to Mombasa regularly. So I am coming back! I have to look at the future and what I really want and that is not just working and enjoying a beach life...it's so much more than that!
With pain in my heart I leave Africa, but I know I'll be back! Thanx to all the friends I made here and the people I worked with! You made it an amazing time and I'll miss you guys! Nakupenda sana!
I'm going back to Holland, where my friends and family are, where my heart is, the people that always supported me. Holland for me is the country in my passport and therefor it's the place where I am strong and can make things happen! That's why I have to go back and make a new plan to live a meaningfull life in this world.

1 opmerking:

  1. Hi Mariska,
    This is really shocking to me a bit! You sounded so sure and happy about your new life in Africa! Must have been a difficult decision again...
    Wise to listen to your heart also this time! It is not a failure. This is a very valuable experience! No doubt, you have grown.
    Remember: Your life is meaningful anyway, anywhere.
    And when you come back, don't forget to bring your heart and a bit of sunshine.
    (It is raining here cats and dogs, all day long)

    I wish you all the best,
    Mark

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen