Blogarchief

zaterdag 18 maart 2017

Mombasa!

My business visa expired do I had to leave the country. No better place to go to then Mombasa! Just a short week, but at least some time to catch up with Melissa and to see how the boys are doing and spend as much time with them as I can! And what a warm welcome! The boys came home from school and didn't know I would be there, all the hugs and happy faces! Some still the same, some changed in behavior and appearance! How fast can young boys grow up!
All of them are doing great in school and most even top 3 of their class. All in all, I feel right at home again.
Also being in this city is a great feeling and ill try to use every second of my time! Even though I have to admit I do miss Zanzibar too. So Im going around to all my favorite places, doing a lot of shopping, meeting people and just taking in the feel of Mombasa! The crazyness, chaos, smells, colors, beauty and people. I realize now how different the people are from Zanzibar. More bold, I will not say less respectful, but they are less shy to try to get into contact with a mzungu woman. Its more obvious here. In Zanzibar most people are more reserved about it. Here I should change my name to Baby, I love you or Mzungu, thats all I hear all day. It doesn't bother me though and surely it doesn't impress me, its just the way things are here. Most of the time I just ignore comments, but sometimes I enter a conversation and chat a bit which often ends up in 'I want your number, I want to see you more or I want to marry you'. The fact that I write about it now really doesn't mean it bothers me, its just so obvious and a big difference from Zanzibar.
Zanzibar was the right choice for me to move to coz I wanted to be at this side of the world to be close to the boys and my second home, Mombasa. Its been hard work, long days, difficult moments and a lot of great new friends, amazing relaxed island living and I just love the Swahili people, culture and food, East Africa is home!










Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten